Scripture: “He is the image of the invisible God—the firstborn of all creation.
For by Him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through Him and for Him. And…
- He is before all things and in Him all things hold together. And;
- He is the head of the body, the church.
- He is the beginning, the first born from the dead, that in everything he might be preeminent.
For in Him the fullness of God was please to dwell and through Him to reconcile to Himself all things (whether on earth or in heaven), making peace by the Blood of his Cross.” (Col 1:15-20)
Observation: What is it about unpacking the Gospel that brings so much light? Why are the details of the Gospel important? Why should I know about this? Why, it is simple…
If I want to grow, I need to know.
Application: What is it about Jesus that makes Him special?
Uhhh, He is the Son? Well, yeah…but what else?
Paul is very good in his letters to give a peek in the background of the Trinitarian God (Trinity: Father, Son, Holy Ghost—1 God, 3 persons; it’s a mystery I know. Another day, another posting…). In the letter to Colossians Paul talks about the enormity of the Christ—more stuff than I could ever wrap my punkin’ heads around:
- Jesus created everything—heaven and earth, seen and unseen—nothing exists that He did not create.
- Why was it created? For Him, his personal possession. He is Creator, everything else is subordinate to Him.
- Even in human form, the fullness of God dwells. He is no less God for taking on the clay/flesh of Man.
- God and clay/flesh: Needed to reconcile all current things to Himself, making peace, by the Blood.
This, with other references, reminds me again that Jesus (fully God and fully man) was the only One to be the perfect Sacrifice for Sin. God is Holy. Man is as fully not-holy as God is Holy. Blood covers sin. Why blood? Don’t know—God set it up that way starting with Eden and through the Priestly sacrifice convention.
Animals and such where only good temporarily—the Priests had to constantly sacrifice, day after day, week, month, and year. And there were many generations of priests, to be trained and consecrated to continue sacrificing.
What was needed was a Perfect sacrifice. Only issue with that? Only God is perfect. And what needed to be the sacrifice for Man? A Man—a Perfect Man. Isn’t going to happen from the offspring of Adam. So God bypassed Adam and Mary was with child from on High—His name is Jesus.
He is why I am redeemed. And that from before time began. Astounding!! Incomprehensible!!
Prayer: Lord God, it is astounding that You conceived such a Plan as this. No one could have done this much less executed it. Angels are eternally puzzled. Man’s mind is clouded until You blow the clouds away. Thank You for opening my eyes and keeping them open. I don’t deserve this Grace. AMEN.